Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hummingbirds

Two afternoons ago a gal with whom I've become friendly came to tell me she had found a hummingbird nest with two babies.  I grabbed my camera and tripod and went with her.  What a thrill!

They are so tiny.  The feathers are developing and their eyes are open.  The beaks and tails just clear the top of the nest.  They must be several days old.

Momma came to feed them only after Nancy left.  Even then momma saw me and made three passes before warily landing to feed.

The red throat patch identifies her as an Anna's hummingbird.







Late yesterday afternoon I returned. Now their eyes and the top of their heads are higher above the edge of the nest.  The nest looks a bit more crowded.  It's fascinating to see how they've grown in just 24 hours.

Today I again waited for late afternoon.  I was anxious to see what changes transpired this past 24 hours and was not disappointed.  Look how much they have grown!


Tomorrow morning marks our departure from this area.  We are moving to a more northerly Arizona location to explore.  While I've been looking forward to this change, now I would like to stay to take daily photos of these babies until their maiden flights.  Oh my!
I feel privileged that momma allowed me to photograph her feeding her babies for three days.  Sometimes I must remember to be thankful for what I have been given.
And, Nancy, thanks for the head's up. This would never have happened had it not been for you!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Goodness Paula!! What a remarkable experience to see something so rare and precious! The photos are magnificent! Thank you so much for sharing these amazing moments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi paula this is john it looks like your having a good time. the potos look greeat. i keep looking every day. but any way sherly knickerbocker says hi and hopes your having a good time. tell vic i said hi.

    ReplyDelete