Saturday, December 4, 2010

Cotton Pickin'

 I mentioned the other day that cotton is grown in this valley.  While I'd seen cotton fields previously, I'd not seen harvest.

Pickers lifting the cotton from the plants
I took video of this at far too great resolution so can't show the cotton being dumped.  Suffice it to say, it's pretty neat to watch. 
 Except for the cotton picker which is on the other side of this big bin, I have no idea of the correct terminology for anything here (well yes, I do know a JD tractor when I see one).   After the load is dumped the equipment operator for this machine sits at the end of the "bin" and runs a tamper that moves along compressing the load.  We didn't stick around to see how many loads it takes to make one of these modules below.

Bales weigh 500 lbs. and are approximately 21" x 55".  These modules can weigh over 16,000 pounds.  Just one fills a 10-wheeler truck.
Something new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment