Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More Zabriskie Point

We are back and ready to hike the 2.5 mile loop trail that goes down, around the base of the viewpoint and through Gower Gulch before climbing back up to the beginning. I'm not sure what the elevation change is but know that it's serious for someone who has done nothing but sit all winter. Hope I make it.Here we are in the wash at the base. Folks at the top look mighty small.
We took a wrong turn and missed Gower Gulch. This is a dead end for me although lots of hikers think nothing of heading right up this slot in the canyon. In dry conditions I MAY have considered it but not with the recent rains and water running right where our feet needed to go.
Storm waters flowing through that slot come through with such force that this cut was formed. This is why one is advised never to be in a canyon when rain is in the forecast. And this, in a place that is the dryest in the Western Hemisphere, with 1-2" of annual precipitation.
Of course, this year is different with the El Nino weather system. The Furnace Creek Visitor Center has registered 3.09" of rain since the first of 2010! This promises to be an incredible wildflower season. I can hardly wait!
Vic decides to take the shortcut while I decide to retrace our steps.
On my return I find a college class enjoying a project.
After spotting this well-used path, I decide I'll try it as a shortcut. Shorter, yes, but a killer. Up......
and up and up.
The ravens love soaring here.